Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 25, 2010

Twilight Imperium - Shaterred Empire Expansion ... Almost ...

So, we played a four player game on Sunday, it took about 9 hours.  It was by far the longest game I had played in a while and it went really well.  I got refreshed on some of the rules I had forgotten and I now have what it takes to get some basic strategies going.  I have to say right off the bat the I almost won I was at 9 victory points and the Brotherhood of Yin  (well done) came and took my Home World and ripped me to shreds!  To prevent me from scoring the last point.  I was so disappointed :(  Took everything I had in one round with some good action cards and the Warfare II card (High Alert +1).  OUCH!

The Mines are pretty cool even though I didn't use them.  But the Winnu (my bro) did.  And it did stop a few attacks.  But in the end they are only gonna be a waste of time if you are gonna just put them everywhere.  In your home world maybe, but otherwise ...  I guess they are good defense but not that great.  I don't think you can rely on them for anything but a lucky little boost if they hit when they go off.


 

The Shock Troops are pretty cool.  When you invade and you hit a 10 on a dice, one Ground Troop becomes a ST.  Hitting at 5 instead of of 8 until you lose it by having it without a Ground Troop.  That is pretty good if you ask me!  Unfortunately, I did not score any.  But the Yin did, and they did score a few hits extra at one point.  I guess this unit would be cool with the Federation of Sol.  Since they are all about the ground force.

So I played the Embers of Muaat  You start the game with a War Sun.  Including the Technology for it.  It can only move 1 until you have the Hylar V and the Deep Space Cannon, then they move for 2.  You can also use an action to create a Destroyer or 2 fighters at Space Docks and War Suns (for a Strategy Token).  I did this allot.  Every time I would have room in my fleet I would make sure to pump out Destroyers.  I was able to get my second War Sun out quick after getting the Trade Turn twice in 3 turns.  Got the second Sun ... and there was much rejoicing!  And much fear from the other players.  They instantly started going after me to kill one of the Suns.  I was feared.  AND accumulating points!


    In the end though, I got plowed after I lost both War Suns. Which all told, are just big, fat, expensive tanks that can take allot of hits.  Because against 3 Dreads and a few Cruisers, they are toast.  You gotta use it as defense I think.   I did manage to stay alive until I could get 9 points, by the time I got to 7 or 8 points, the others realized that letting me have the Bureaucracy Card every turn, is BAD news since it allowed me the possibility to score 2 victory points per turn. 
It was a good game.  It is the type of game that you have to play allot to really get good at because of its complexity and dept.  Anyway.  More to come.  I will be posting about Talisman: 4th Edition cuz it is one of my favorites.

Regards all!

No comments:

Post a Comment